So we talked about how easily we can enhance our fashion sketches in just few clicks in first part.
Now this is my favorite one that I always use over and over again all the time.
This technique is flat lay, a technique in photography and quite popular from past few years. Flat lay is all about arranging the stuff on a surface and take photograph from top view.
“Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small amount of compensation when you purchase from my links at no cost to you. I certify that I either personally use these products or have used them for clients.”
For this, we need 3 types of material.
One is the hero, which is our sketch. (if you want help with drawing beautiful sketches, try my free fashion sketching course)
Second is the background. Usually, I use a white chart paper on the floor. Few ideas for the background are:
- Any coloured or textured papers
- Gift wraps
- Piece of wood
- Basically, any surface goes for the background. Choose any 1.
The third is the prop. These can be anything that compliments the hero and here are the few ideas which you can select 2 to 5. For beginner make it simple with one or two props.
- Live plants
- Anything and every little thing.
Now we know the material and now it’s about setting the scene.
Flatlay can be planned in two ways.
- choose a colour palette of 2 to 3 colours and find all the props and background in those colours and arrange and photograph. That’s one way to go.
- The other is we create a story and everything revolve around it. Like if our sketch is about swimwear, we can create a story like ‘holiday at beach’ and collect props like shells, sunscreen, travel magazine, travel tickets, sunglasses, volleyball and so on. We can use sand background or bed as background like she was planning a vacation to the beach.
So we have background, props and we planned our scene and it’s time to put them all together.
Step 1: Find a place near a window or door in your house with good natural lighting and turn off all artificial lights.
Step 2: place the background and tape all the corners to prevent moving.
Step 3: place your sketch on the background.
Step 4: add props as you like. Do not dominate the main sketch with lots of props. Try to use different textures and materials.
Step 5: stand high and take your phone or camera and try to shoot very still from the top.
Step 6: now move the props and sketch to different positions and take snap again.
Step 7: continue to move the props and keep on taking pictures.
Step 8: Now select the best photographs and enhance them with the technique that we discussed here.
Step 9: now it’s time to post them to your social media and impress your friends.
Here are some examples to inspire you.
Phew..! lots of work to do right? Trust me you are gonna enjoy this whole process like anything.
If you like this, do take some time to share it and I would love to hear from you on comments.
Oh yes! In the next article, we are going to see another great way to beautify your sketch.
Till next time