If you are wondering, How do I begin my adventure with dress design? Or maybe you are stressing out when creating your clothes, Then this is absolutely for you. By the end of this, you will walk away with the clear process of dress design along with a downloadable roadmap that helps you every time you want to make your own clothes.
I made this 4 step process that sits right next to my desk and helps me every time that I deal with dressmaking. This roadmap has everything from planning the dress on paper till creating the final piece in a proper order so you can just go step by step without any brain work. Though there are many other ways, this is what worked for me and I believe it helps you too make your awesome fashion creations even if you are a complete beginner. You are free to adapt and make any changes, depending on your need.
I like to keep this process right next to my desk so I can walk through each and every time that I create any clothing item.
Well, this is what my 4 step dress design process is going to look like and it begins with
1. Research and plan
- Collect images of your favorite dresses or create a Pinterest board dedicated to your favorite dresses.
- Visit your favorite store and try things on and have photographs or doodle styles you like.
- Arrange them to a style board
- Pick all the elements you like (necklines, hems, s.o, basically anything you like) note them down.
2. Design Development
- Figure out your body and plan your lines (you can learn more about this in this mini-course)
- Apply the elements to your lines and develop multiple designs.
- Refine your designs. You may like one from here and one from there, experiment with multiple elements and keep developing. Before you know, you have a hand full of designs to choose from.
- Take your time to pick your favorite.
- Decide on colors, again this course is going to help.
- Draw your final sketches and stick to the wall for inspiration.
- Draw a technical sketch and plan darts placement, surface ornamentation, zipper etc… and write all the details on your technical sketch.
- Choose the fabric from your colors.
3. Pattern Development
- Draft pattern from scratch or Look for similar sewing patterns to develop or recreate patterns from old clothes.
- Develop your design from the pattern.
- True the pattern.
- Cut it out on cheap fabric like calico or muslin and test fit.
- Make any fitting adjustments.
- Make the final pattern.
- Pre-wash the fabric
- Press the fabric
- Pay attention to grain line and trace the pattern onto fabric.
- Add seam allowance and cut the fabric, lining, and interfacing.
- Mark any notches.
- Stay stitch on all the curves to prevent stretching.
- Join all darts, pleats, and gathers.
- Join waistline
- Join shoulders.
- Sew neckline
- Join side seams
- Sew hem
- Add zippers
- Sew center back
- Attach sleeves.
- Make sure to press on every step
Want a copy of this beautiful roadmap? I put together all of this process to a beautiful checklist which you can download and keep it right next to you whenever you need it.
If you enjoyed this post and would love to take your design skills further, I put together a 3 days mini-course that helps you design your own clothes that actually suits you.
And if you need any help with putting your ideas onto paper, this is a great tutorial to get started with fashion sketching.
Hopefully, you got the clarity of how to start your journey with dress design. Let me know your questions or takeaway in the comments below. I would love to hear from you
Until Next Time, Lekha.